Both sides of my family had come from Ireland in the 19th century for the same reason: there was nothing to eat over there. Since then, I’ve tried to make up for the potato famine by making the potato the only vegetable that passes these lips. – Art Donovan.
If you’re like this American footballer, you’ll always find interesting ways and the weirdest of all unthinkable excuses to consume potatoes (excess carb or no carb) ! To make your love for potatoes even stronger, throw in a bunch of the cutest of golden baby potatoes looking all set to get cooked and find their way to your stomach. Feeling hungry already? Check this recipe out!
Ingredients for Dum Aloo Recipe:
- 1 small bag of baby potatoes (the standard bags sold at Whole Foods Market or Safeway)
- 1 tablespoonful of lemon juice
- Whole cumin seeds
- 3-4 green chilis, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoonful of amchoor powder
- 1 teaspoonful of garam masala powder
- a pinch of asafoetida powder
- 1 teaspoonful of each of turmeric and red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantros
- Prick the baby potatoes with a fork and boil them to your satisfaction in lightly salted water.
- Let them cool off and then peel the boiled potatoes.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet, add whole cumin seeds to the oil, and let them splutter.
- Add asafoetida powder to the cumin flavored warm oil.
- Add the potatoes and toss them with turmeric, red chili powder, amchoor powder, and salt to taste, until the potatoes turn golden.
- Add the tomatoes and sautee until the tomatoes get tender.
- Sprinkle with garam masala powder and sautee until the potatoes get thoroughly cooked.
- Garnish with fresh cilantros.