Looking for a short and sweet family vacation over the upcoming Christmas break? How does the idea of gorging on Danish pastries and pancakes for breakfast while feasting your eyes with massive gingerbread houses sound? Do you feel like slurping steaming pea soup for dinner on a chilly winter evening? Does a scenic ride on a horse-drawn carriage sound like fun? If you ever were a fairy tale lover, Hans Christian Andersen does ring a bell in your heart, right? Sure he does! Then Solvang is going to be your perfect destination for this Holiday Season. This idyllic Danish village near Santa Barbara can offer you that perfect relaxing vacation you’re so craving for. Here’s what a perfect Solvang day typically looks like:
1. Start Your Day With A Sumptuous Danish Breakfast: Start your morning like a Dane and try out the amazing Danish cream pastries at Olsen Bakery or stacks of pancakes at Paula’s Pancake House. While there’re several other bakeries and cafes, these two are the primary crowdpullers. Olsen Bakery usually has a large and beautifully crafted gingerbread house that’s a beauty to behold.
2. Visit The Land of Fairy Tales: The Hans Christian Andersen Museum and Bookstore (rather a books and gifts store) is just a block or two down the street. The museum artifacts can transport you to your blissful childhood days when fairy tales seemed so true to life and the bookstore can offer you a lot of unique options to pick and choose from.
3. Circle The Village In A Horse Carriage: The horses pulling the carriage are two of the most beautiful animals you would ever see. They’re going to take you out on a fun ride around the entire village of Solvang and their speed would be such that you would get infinite opportunities to take pictures of the village.
4. Shopping Time: Remember the Danish creamy calories you consumed for breakfast? You can reduce your guilt a little by taking a stroll along the shopping arcades of the village. You can stop by the boutiques and shop if you want to or just enjoy the Christmas decorations all around you.
5. Taste the Pea Soup: Still not entirely free of guilt? Go light for dinner then. Just stop by the Pea Soup Andersen’s (the restaurant is right next to the Andersen’s Inn) for a bowl of their signature pea soup. There won’t be a better way of ending this perfect day!